Since all the attention is on Scotland this week we decided to look back at other moments where Scotland has been in the forefront and used in different feature movies. Some may be obvious and others you would never know that it was set in Scotland:
1. In 1974 Monty Python and the Holy Grail was partly set in Doune Castle near Stirling The film is a very popular British comedy film parodying the legends of King Arthur.
2. 1983 film Local Hero featured Camusdarach beach in Morar making this a very popular tourist attraction. According to Ewan McGregor this is “Probably the world’s best beach”. We also voted Camusdarach beach in the top 5 places you must visit when coming to Scotland.
3. Braveheart, filmed in 1995, was set in the beautiful backdrop in Glen Nevis near Fort William and Loch Leven near Ballachulish. The film starred Oscar winning actor Mel Gibson.
4. The 1996 blockbuster Trainspotting was filmed in various locations across Scotland- filmed in Princes Street and Calton Road in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Rannoch Moor. It was also the movie that launched the career of the previously mentioned Ewan McGregor.
5. The Harry Potter films have many ties to Scotland with several different locations throughout the Highlands being used in the feature films. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was the first of the movies to feature the stunning view of the Glenfinnan Viaduct. This film has made the journey on The Jacobite Steam Train along the West Highland line extremely popular with Harry Potter fans.
6. 2012 Batman hit The Dark Knight Rises has one of it’s famous scenes filmed above the Cairngorm Mountain Range. The scene is when character Bane makes a quick escape from a plane and I’m sure will be one that many of you will remember. This is an example of a time where the scene was supposed to be set in the USA but the filmmakers changed their minds and decided that the dramatic Scottish landscape was more fitting for the scene.
7. Disney Pixar’s 2012 animation Brave is set in the Scottish Highlands, the film tells the story of a princess named Merida who disagrees with tradition which causes havoc in the kingdom.
8. 2012 James Bond blockbuster Skyfall features scenes filmed around Glencoe and Glen Etive in the Highlands. This is not the first time that producers of the 007 films have decided to use a Scottish location as part of their movies. Eilean Donan Castle in Skye was also featured in the Bond film ‘The world is not Enough’ as the northern base of the British Secret Service.
Can you tell us any others that were filmed in Scotland?