Weddings – The legal bit

Now that you have met your celebrant and they have started creating your script what else do you need to do?

Well, in order for your marriage ceremony to be legally binding, you’ll need to submit some simple and straight forward paperwork to the General Registrar of Scotland.

For any couple to legally marry in Scotland, both parties must submit a marriage notice form (M10) to the registry office closest to where the ceremony is taking place.

These forms can be obtained from any registry office, or downloaded directly from the National Records of Scotland website. The forms are straightforward and easy to complete and will ask the for the following information:

  • Date and Place of where marriage is to take place.
  • Personal details (Full name, Date of birth, present or last occupation, country of residence and country of birth).
  • Parent’s names, present or last occupation (and whether living or deceased).
  • Celebrant’s details (Name and denomination or body to which they are attached).
    • For Fuze Celebrants this is ‘Marriage Officer, The Fuze Foundation
  • Name and address of the other person getting married.

Evidence required:

When submitting the marriage notice forms, couples also need to submit the following documents:

  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate
  • Decree of divorce, annulment or dissolution (if applicable)
  • Death certificate of a former spouse or civil partner (if applicable)
  • Proof of residency – Passport
  • Proof of address – This could be a utility bill or drivers licence
  • Certificate of no impediment from the country from which the person has citizenship (if either person is not a UK resident, but this does not apply to parties who have lived in the UK for more than 2 years).

The earliest you can submit these forms to the relevant registry office is 3 months prior to the date of the wedding.  But this is not set in stone, as long as the forms are submitted at least 29 working days prior to the wedding, then this allows the registrar enough time to process the applications and prepare the Marriage Schedule.

The Marriage Schedule:

The Marriage schedule is very important, and it is vital that couples collect this from the relevant registry office a few days prior to the ceremony (this can only be done by the couple – one or both of them). After the ceremony has been conducted and the Celebrant has declared the couple ‘to be Married’, the Marriage Schedule is signed by the couple, and witnessed by the Celebrant and two more witnesses, (usually the best man and bridesmaid, but anyone can witness the signing, as long as they are over the age of 16).

The Marriage Schedule must then be handed back in to the same registry office within 3 working days of the marriage taking place.  Couples who are jetting off on honeymoon straight after the wedding need not worry, they can nominate a family member or friend to hand the schedule back in on their behalf.

Statutory Fees:

The fees set by the Registrar General are as follows:

  • For each person submitting a marriage notice form – £30
  • For each extract of the entry in the register of marriages – £10

So in effect, couples will pay £70 directly to the registrar when submitting their marriage notice forms.

For more info contact us here or check out

As always, please just get in touch with your Celebrant if you have any questions. We’re always happy to help

2018-03-13T10:48:56+00:00Foundation, Weddings|
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Privacy policy. Ok, thanks